Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday, said he will not allow a repeat of the #EndSARS protests that rocked the nation last month.
Buhari made this known at a meeting of the National Security Council (NSC) on November 17, stating that “relevant stakeholders”, including the youth, will be carried along to forestall a repeat.
Minister of police affairs, Muhammad Dingyadi, briefed journalists on the President’s position after the meeting.
When asked if the federal government would go tough on protesters, he replied:“What we are saying is that government will continue to dialogue, it will continue to listen and will continue to carry all stakeholders along in ensuring that there is no repeat of what happened that destroyed a lot of properties, public and private, in this country.”
On what “decisive action” means, he said it is an all inclusive move which includes technology and equipment to face challenges head on.
Dingyadi said Buhari thanked NSC members for the efforts they are making in maintaining peace and assured them that he will do whatever it takes to support security agencies in ensuring peace is provided in the country.
“Mr. President assured Nigerians that he will do whatever it takes to ensure the repeat of ENDSARS protests does not occur in Nigeria again.
“Mr. President reassured that all stakeholders will be involved in the process of maintaining peace in the country, particularly the youth, community leaders, traditional rulers, politicians, public servants, religious leaders, etc.
The federal government will continue to maintain its bureaucratic, humane and just postures in handling security matters in the country,”he said.
According to the Police Affairs minister, the meeting noted “with concern” the increasing cases of armed banditry, particularly in the north-west and north-east regions.
The NSC is made up of heads of security agencies as well as other top government officials in Nigeria.