OAU VC announces that the students union has been reinstated
The general community of Great Ife students were thrown into an atmosphere of joy and celebration after the University's Vice Chancellor announced that the suspension of students union activities had been lifted.
On Sunday, 25th of April, 2021, the Students Union Government (SUG) of the Obafemi Awolowo University was reinstated after about four years of temporary ban. Recall that the body, in November 6 2017, lost its potency due to series of violent fights within the union.
In a statement by the University’s public relations officer the reasons why the University’s Union was suspended were clearly stated.
– The violent fight between the Vice president, Jacob Tosin and director of socials Adebayo Emmanuel who ended up being hospitalized after he was stabbed during the fight.
– The speaker was beaten up by the president’s supporters on June 29 and 30.
– The speaker’s supporters in return beat up the president on September 15.
– The fight within the student union body over a N3.8m fraud.
In a news report by
– Rumors of fees increase and threat of cultists intervention inorder to deceive and gain the attention of the students and to furthermore, create chaos.
Inside OAU Innovations media earlier this month. It was reported that the University management had ongoing plans to reinstate the students union. The university management informed all students the before the commencement of the COVID-19 lockdown in March 2020, the university had taken steps to ensure that the Obafemi Awolowo University Students’ Union resuscitated on two different occasions but the process were truncated due to the activeness of some group of students on our campus. More details here…
In a news aired by Sahara TV, the Vice Chancellor of the University, Professor Eyitope Ogunbodede, claimed that there would be full unionism and election into respective posts before the end of the session.