African writers are encouraged to submit entries for the Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2022, which will be awarded in December. This prize will be given to the author of the best previously unpublished short tale, which can be either fiction or creative non-fiction in nature. The prize is intended to provide African writers, particularly those who have not yet been published, with a platform on which to showcase their work. More individuals will be able to access their work as a result of this platform, which will in turn stimulate more creative writing. Africans will have the opportunity, through this Prize, to not only share their own tales, but will also have the freedom to express them in their own words, as they see fit. Due to the fact that for a long time, the “African Story” has been recounted by foreigners, those who claim to be familiar with the continent.
They have ended up with a story about Africa, a single story about a starving, warring, ailing, and backward people, a story about a continent wracked by natural catastrophes. Their new interpretation of the narrative of the Dark Continent has been revealed! Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie warns against the dangers of a single African story, which she refers to as ‘The Danger of a Single Story’ in her novel. Afterwards, she explains that “when we reject the one story, when we realize that there is never a single story about any area, we return to a state of paradise.” In order to reclaim this utopia, the Kendeka Prize for African Literature is being established.
Summary of Scholarships
Get latest updates From Inside OAU Media !
Join 10,000+ Inside OAU Media Subscribers and start receiving important updates & gist to your Mail
- Level of Study: Postgraduate
- Institution(s): Kendeka Prize
- Study in: Kenya
- Program Period: 4 Years
- Deadline: May 5, 2022
Do you have a groundbreaking story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through [email protected]
Coverage of Scholarships
The first prize will be KShs.100,000, with the second and third prizes being KShs.50,000 and KShs.25,000, respectively, for second and third place. The final two stories from the five that were shortlisted will each earn KShs 5,000 in prize money.
- Participants must be African citizens or have been born in one of the continent’s countries.
- Submissions are due by midnight on May 5, 2022.
- One entry per author.
- Between 3000 and 5000 words is the ideal length for a manuscript.
- A maximum of one entry per person may be submitted.
- Submissions must include the story’s title as the file name, which should be in Microsoft Word or Rich Text format.
- The story’s title and word count should be prominently shown on the opening page.
- Times New Roman 12 point font and 1.5 line spacing are required for this entry.
- A story’s inclusion on a long list, a short list, or the winner’s list is unavoidably public knowledge among contestants.
- Long-listed author agrees to work with editors to get the tale suitable for publication in the anthology.
- a story’s long listing does not ensure inclusion in the collection.
- Kendeka Prize 2021 winners, first and second runners-up are not eligible.
- It is the responsibility of each author to ensure that their entry is their own unique work and has not been previously published or long listed for this or any other prize.
- It is understood that by submitting a story to be considered for inclusion in an anthology, the author grants Solano Publications Ltd exclusive worldwide print and digital rights. The copyright belongs to the author.
- The verdict of the judges is final.
- There will be a review of the entries and an evaluation. An anthology titled I Am Listening will be published later this year with a vast list of contributors. In the future, the judges and the date of the awards event will be announced.
How can I apply for Kendeka Prize for African Literature 2022 for African Writers Scholarship?
- Please send your entries as attachments to the email address [email protected]
- The narrative must be attached to an email that has the author’s full legal name, phone number, a brief biography, and information about their age and place of residence.
Scholarship Official Website
Visit the official Kendeka Prize website to learn more.
Share This Post: If you think this post can be helpful to somebody else, please share it using the buttons below!